The Burbs and The BF

How a City Mouse and a Country Mouse moved to the burbs and what happened there.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I live with My BF and 2 cats in an apartment in a first tier suburb of Murderapolis. I am happily in a relationship.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Memorial Day Massacre: A Retrospective and a New Resolution

I just got off the phone with one of my friends and it made me realize something. I haven't been doing a good job of maintaining ALL of my friendships lately. A few of my friends have become SPECIAL OCCASION friends; basically the equivalent of HOLIDAY FAMILY. The people you only see when it's someone's birthday. I forgot that I used to be the one that kept some of those friendships together. I used to be pushy and aggressive with friends, forcing the bonds to remain strong and always inviting EVERYONE to things that we would do. There are a few people I have lost touch with lately and I don't like it. These are people I really care about.

I made a resolution last year around this time. Remember the Memorial Day Massacre, when I had the worst hangover of my life that lasted 3 days? I can honestly say that I have only been DRUNK (notice all-caps?) once since then, and that time resulted in nothing more than mild bed-spins. So I call that a success. My next resolution will be to put back together what I have let (through sheer LAZINESS) fall apart, more or less. Particularly with 2 people.

Don't get me wrong, there are others that things have fallen apart with that I think is for the best. I'm just not the person they remember and they are the people I remember. I was at my most self-destructive when I was around them (and was reminded very recently that if I get around them I STILL AM) and though they pine for the "good old days" I heave the largest sigh of relief in the WORLD that it's all behind me and that I am not that pathetic freak anymore.

All of that aside I am going to start small. There are 2 people that I am going to mend fences with, two people I really care about. Two people I want to try to see more of. One of them may actually need my help. The last resolution worked out, why not this one?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home