The Burbs and The BF

How a City Mouse and a Country Mouse moved to the burbs and what happened there.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I live with My BF and 2 cats in an apartment in a first tier suburb of Murderapolis. I am happily in a relationship.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The Warning Sign

So, Saturday night I got the brilliant idea that I wanted to go out club-hopping. Since I was broke, I suggested to Math-girl and The Nurse that it might be best if we start out at my place with our existing liquor and then take the bus to The Nineties to save on drink costs. By the time 11PM rolled around, we were all pretty liquored up. After several embarrassingly sappy moments on my part (I get VERY sappy when I am drunk) we made it to the bar where all three of us had several more drinks. There is a large chunk of the night I don’t remember at all. Apparently I stumbled up the stairs to my apartment, and threw my watch and glasses on the floor. I’m pretty sure I threw up in the bathroom at one point, though I honestly can‘t say for sure. It wasn’t just me, either. Apparently The Nurse tossed her cookies behind her nightstand and Math-girl had a bizarre time-warp experience and thought The Nurse and I had ditched her.

Sunday I woke up with the mother of all hangovers. It wasn’t just a hangover, though. It was as if I had given myself the stomach flu. Nothing I did seemed to help. I drank a lot of water, had greasy food, and got plenty of fresh air, but nothing seemed to help. In fact, I can honestly say that now (2 nights later!!) I don’t feel 100%. It wasn’t all physical, either. I feel like I gave myself brain damage somehow. Sunday afternoon at a picnic and other activities I felt like I was in a fog most of the time.

I have come to the conclusion that I am not going to drink like that ever again. It is stupid and immature and embarrassing to get so drunk that you actually throw up and forget things. In fact, looking back on it, and truly analyzing things, I have come to a shocking conclusion: I don’t like drinking very much. I can’t say that there is a single alcoholic beverage out there that I enjoy the taste of. I’m not the kind of person who would ever say that I could sure go for a cold beer right about now. To me beer (ALL BEER) tastes like varying degrees of piss (what I would imagine piss tastes like) and stomach bile. Alcohol has always been something to drink to make me feel a certain way. It’s not refreshing to me in the slightest. I like having my inhibitions and self-consciousness stripped away for a short time, I like drinking socially, but it seems like the payoff is decreasing as time goes on. Maybe that is the natural progression of a non-alcoholic 29-year-old. Whatever the case may be, Sunday morning was a warning sign to me. It’s just not worth it anymore.

The worst part is being told I said and did things that I don’t remember at all. It’s a horrifying feeling. People are going to laugh at me and joke about things I literally have no recollection of doing? It’s bad enough when I do stupid things that I remember. It also feels like my emotions are too raw and real when I am drunk and it really hurts to be laughed at when I was honestly showing the bare-naked truth of things.

Whatever the case may be, I am chilling on it for awhile; maybe permanently. I know I am never going to allow myself to feel the way I did on Sunday ever again. Consider this my first “Turning 30 Resolution”.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home