The Burbs and The BF

How a City Mouse and a Country Mouse moved to the burbs and what happened there.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I live with My BF and 2 cats in an apartment in a first tier suburb of Murderapolis. I am happily in a relationship.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

"CRASH"????!!!! WTF???????!!!!!


I feel sick to my stomach with disgust. “Crash” is a great movie, don’t get me wrong, but “Brokeback” was miles from “Crash” as any critic out there will tell you. "Crash" was firmly and deservedly lodged in my NUMBER TWO position of the year. So what the fuck happened? There are two possibilities: “Crash” is yet ANOTHER movie that sucks LA’s cock and panders directly to the people who live in Los Angeles. I wanted to show THIS SIDE of LA. Haven’t we seen EVERY SIDE of LA? I haven't even BEEN THERE and I feel like I've been there. The second option brings me back to what Jon Stewart said at the beginning of the show about the Academy being “Behind the times“. They aren‘t ready yet to accept a film with the issues brought up in “Brokeback Mountain“. “Crash” is about prejudice and stereotypes, mostly racial stereotypes. I find it interesting that not once do any of the intermingling characters come across gay characters. And Civil Rights has always been a sore spot for me. One of the groups most strongly opposed to the Gay Civil Rights movement was Southern BLACK Baptist Churches. So... Civil Rights for YOU but no one else?? WTF??!!

It’s hard for someone who isn’t gay to understand the seething rage I feel at this. I almost feel how I did when I saw that W got re-elected. In my opinion, this is about what issue is most important. 5 issues were brought up by five different movies: Racism, homophobia, the death penalty, McCarthyism and terrorism. Racism won, and homophobia should have. “Crash” was great, but it wasn’t groundbreaking or earth-shattering. It doesn’t open people’s eyes to something they have never seen before. “Brokeback” takes the issues of intolerance away from the religious zealots and pundits and politicians and puts a human face on it. Not a stereotypical human face, for once, but a human face.

I’m taking it too seriously. It’s a fucking award show. “Million Dollar Baby” won last year and the fact that it won didn’t make me like the movie any more or have a different opinion about it than I did before. I had such a personal reaction to “Brokeback” I remember saying to myself that if NOT ANOTHER LIVING SOUL in the world liked it, I still would. Nothing can change how much the film impacted me and continues to impact me.

EPIPHANY: Okay, all you straight folks out there reading this. Imagine you had NEVER seen a love story that you believed or could relate to. No “Gone With the Wind” no “Titanic” no “Casablanca”, etc, etc... NEVER. Not a single one. Because every love story out there worth a damn was a gay love story. Imagine seeing one with a heterosexual couple for the first time that felt real, that didn’t insult you with stereotypes or production values. That’s what “Brokeback” did for me. Not that I’m a lonely rancher out in Wyoming, but I could have been. A different time a different place. Maybe.
God. I really just need more gay male friends. I feel like I'm stranded on "Island of the People that Aren't Like Me".
Wow!! I love Blogging. I feel so much better. It's all bullshit. Who knows what happened. It could just be that LA thing I mentioned earlier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home